Good morning, savvy savers! As I am a touch under the weather, due to my allergies, and knee-deep in paperwork for my job, blog responsibilities, and a paper due for graduate school, I thought I would share with you all my favorite cake recipe, my Cupboard Clearing Cake; also I will be making this cake this afternoon as a personal pick-me-up! Why do I love this recipe so much? Its a one-bowl chocolate cake recipe! Most of you, like myself, will have most of these ingredients on hand, and the end result is amazing! I also am a fan of any cake preparations that requires one bowl, and I surely do not feel like emptying the dishwasher at present!
Why call it Cupboard Clearing Cake? Well, the toppings and icing can be tailored to whatever you have on hand, and in my case, cherry pie filling, oreos, and nutella! Also note, I will be serving this cake with leftover Halloween-themed napkins and utensils, again sans-dishwashing this afternoon! I can make this cake for a song on a dime, and that’s awesome in my book!
This cake is sure to cheer up even the glumpiest gus, and today that would be me!
Cupboard Clearing Cake Ingredients:
2 cups white sugar
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water
Directions For Cake:
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2) Grease and flour two nine inch round pans.
3) In a large bowl, stir together the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add the eggs, milk, oil and vanilla, mix for 2 minutes on medium speed of mixer.
4) Stir in the boiling water last. Batter will be thin. Pour evenly into the prepared pans.
5) Bake 30 to 35 minutes in the preheated oven, until the cake tests done with a toothpick.
6) Cool in the pans for 10 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
Ingredients for Icing:
2 3/4 cups confectioners’ sugar
6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
6 tablespoons butter
5 tablespoons evaporated milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup nutella
1 can cherry pie filling
Oreo cookies, or other cookies on hand.
Directions: for Assembling
1) In a medium bowl, sift together the confectioners’ sugar and cocoa, and set aside.
2) Next, in a large glass bowl, cream butter until smooth, then gradually beat in sugar mixture alternately with evaporated milk.
3) Blend in vanilla. Beat until light and fluffy; adjust consistency with more milk or sugar if needed.
4) Fold in nutella, and let icing rest in bowl, at room temperature for five minutes.
5) Place 1 cake round on cake stand, adding half the contents of one can of cherry pie filling on top, then top with second cake round.
6) Ice cake, then place remaining cherry pie filling centered on top of cake, when finished crumble oreos around top, and reserve several to rim bottom of cake.
Remember, you saw this recipe first at The Lady Prefers To Save!