Good afternoon, savvy savers! For this weeks Wednesdays Ways To Save, I want to share with you one of my favorite money-saving tips, how to refill your own plug-in air fresheners! This tip is very near and dear to my heart, as of late I have been able to purchase several new Febreze and Glade Customizables Units, and as much as I love free units, the new trend in “customizable, dual cartridges,” only means one thing to me, spending double the exorbitant amount I already delve out to keep my home smelling fresh!
Keep in mind, using this tip you will be able to fill each cartridge for only $0.10! This is a 75% savings over store-bought deals! This tip will work with any brand cartridge including Glade, Febreze, Yankee Candle, Bath and Body Works, as well as Glade brand diffusers! I purchase my oils from the Dollar Tree, as the larger bottles come in 20 ounce sizes, and as I only need 2 ounces each cartridge, I can refill each cartridge on a dime, for a dime!
What you need:
- A plug-in of your choice, with an empty bulb.
- An you like; I purchase my oils at the Dollar Tree!
- 3 Tablespoons Water
- A butter knife, or tweezers, to pry off the cap on the plug-in bulb
- A tea bag
- A paper towel
- A small funnel or piece of wax paper
- A medicine droppers; most pharmacies will give you free droppers, if needed.
- The cap that came with the original cartridge
1) Remove the cap from the plug-in bulb then clean it out with warm water; a butter knife, or case knife works well.
2) Wrap your cartridge with a tea bag, and place them in a paper towel, to absorb the older residual oil, for one hour.
3) After an hour, discard your tea bag (which can be hung in a closet to freshener the air for up to one week; this will also remove moisture in closets as well).
4) Take your cartridge and put about 20 drops of your favorite essential oil into the plug-in bulb, using a medicine dropper.
5) Put 3 Tablespoons of water into the bulb, using a small funnel or wax paper strip, with the oil, being careful not to let the mixture overflow out of the bulb.
6) Put the wick back in the bulb. Be sure it snaps back into to place.
7) Place the original cap back on the bulb, or carefully place it in a sandwich bag, for 1 hour to let the scent completely refill the internal wick.
8) Plug your refilled cartridge in.