Calling all my corned beef fans! As I am sure many of you will have leftover corned beef in your fridge, I wanted to share with you my recipe for Couponed Cassarole, Reuben-Style. The receipt uses leftovers, Rye bread from my local Bread Store, sauerkraut from the Dollar Tree, buy-one-get-one free couponed cheese and dressing from Winn-Dixie, and cost under $4.00; this recipe will feed six.
Couponed Cassarole, Reuben-Style:
6 slices rye bread, cubed
1 (16 ounce) can sauerkraut, drained and rinsed
1 lb deli sliced corned beef, cut into strips
3/4 cup Russian salad dressing; French or Thousand Island Dressing can be substituted.
2 cups shredded swiss cheese
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
2 Cube rye bread.
3) Spread bread cubes in the bottom of a 9×13 inch baking dish.
4) Spread sauerkraut evenly over the bread cubes, then layer beef strips over sauerkraut.
5) Pour dressing over all.
6) Spray aluminum foil with cooking spray, then take the foil and cover your baking dish; the foil that has been sprayed should be placed sprayed side down.
7) Bake for 20 minutes.
8 Remove pan from oven.
9) Remove foil and top with cheese, then return the cassarole to the oven to brown for an additonal 10 minutes.